STU-K5r Stuka

A place for submitting your designs to the MHB department head.

Please rate this design based upon its merits.

1. I love it!
29%
2. I like it!
7%
3. I'm neutral.
21%
4. I don't like it.
21%
5. I hate it!
21%

Total votes: 14

Mariahsyn

STU-K5r Stuka

Postby Mariahsyn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 pm

STU-K5r Stuka
Mass: 100 tons
Chassis: Lycomb 11
Power Plant: GM 300ATF
Armor: AeroScale Comp 5 Heavy Ferro-Aluminum with CASE
Armament:
4 Exostar Large Lasers
2 Martell Medium Lasers
2 Holly MML-9s
Manufacturer: Lycomb-Davion IntroTech
Primary Factory: New Avalon
Communications System: O/P 9000AT with Guardian ECM Suite
Targeting and Tracking System: O/P 2500TGFD w Artemis IV FCS

Overview:
At the end of the 31st Century, the STU-K5 Stuka was becoming seriously obsolete when compared to more contemporary variants that sported recovered technology. The Black Wolf Rangers mercenary unit were operators of two wings of the K5 during this time and when a requirement was set forth by then Field Marshal Ravenna Black to consider replacements a Chief Warrant Officer who served as part of the unit's technical staff put forth a proposal to refit each of the air frames with advanced technology as opposed to replacing them.
Using her connections the Field Marshal arranged for the officer to travel to New Avalon to meet with the engineers at Lycomb-Davion IntroTech in order to take advantage of their experience as they were responsible for the Stuka's design and production. Despite some initial resistance an engineering team was assigned to work on a cost-effective refit package focused on increasing both durability and efficiency. The end result is the STU-K5r.

Weapons and Equipment:
The Stuka K5r strips out ten of the K5's heat sinks and replaces them with double strength units as was done with the -D6 variant but that is where the similarities end. Retaining the original GM 300ATF power plant the fuel supply has been doubled to allow for twice the endurance. The AeroScale Plus armor that had served the K5 for centuries has been replaced with sixteen tons of Heavy Ferro-Aluminum armor reverse engineered from Andurien Composition 5 after successful industrial espionage giving the new design the ability to absorb far more punishment during battle. Additionally, the cockpit avionics, communications and targeting systems were updated to the latest standard in order to accept the addition of an advanced Guardian electronic warfare suite.
The Simpson LRM 20 and Holly SRM 4 racks were stripped out in favor of a pair of Holly MML-9 launchers linked to Artemis IV targeting systems for improved accuracy. Four tons of CASE-protected ammunition for the missile launchers allow not only sustained fire but far more damage potential over the length of an engagement. The four Exostar large lasers remain unchanged from the original design while the forward firing Martel medium laser has been removed but the aft-firing pair remain to deter pursuers.

Deployment:
After initial design work was complete a number of STU-K5s were refitted to the new specification for evaluation and testing. Test pilots from both Black Wolf Rangers and Lycomb-Davion IntroTech suggested several minor fixes to hammer out teething issues but otherwise gave the refit glowing reviews stating that the design was solid and well suited for its intended roles. Arranging a deal with Lycomb-Davion IntroTech to purchase the initial run of kits, Black Wolf Rangers are at present the only unit as of this writing that has expressed their intent to deploy the K5r.

Type: Stuka
Technology Base: Inner Sphere
Tonnage: 100
Battle Value: 2,128
Cost: 7,359,000 c-bills

Equipment Mass
Engine: 300 19.0
Safe Thrust: 5
Maximum Thrust: 8
Structural Integrity: 10
Heat Sinks: 20 (40) 10.0
Fuel: 800 10.0
Cockpit: 3.0
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro-Aluminum) 317 16.0
Armor
Value
Nose: 104
Wings: 73/73
Aft: 67

Weapons and Ammo Location Tonnage Heat / Damage
2 MML-9w Artemis IV FCS Nose 14.0 10 / (Varies by Missile Type)
Ammo (MML) ---- 4.0
2 Large Lasers RW 10.0 16 / 16
2 Large Lasers LW 10.0 16 / 16
2 Medium Lasers Aft 2.0 6 /10
Guardian ECM Suite ---- 1.5
CASE ---- 0.5
Duchess Ravenna Black.
Callsign: Blackbird.
Assignment: Headquarters Command, I Corps. (Operation Horus' Creance)
CO, Black Wolf Rangers.
Baroness Offerman and Duchess Warlock.

"And hell followed with her..."

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Re: STU-K5r Stuka

Postby Vampire » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 pm

I understand you are going for a reasonable upgrade to enhance the classic Stuka's capabilities without busting the bank, but for some reason, it somehow seems... underarmed. My own personal feel is that resources and quality upgrades should be applied for the best equipment, and the Stuka has always been ranked as one of the best in its class.

As your fluff mentioned, if this was as a refit package, it would make sense. I understand canon mentioned that armour change is easily carried out, that particular process should probably qualify as factory refits. But if one was to look for something with similar performance curve, I think there are several ready canon designs in the market already.

I was researching for an IC post and came across something that I thought was surprisingly similar to your proposed redesign - the Thunderbird TRB-D46. Standard fusion, brick like protection (it mounts NINETEEN tons of standard armour!), has 1 less ERLL compared to yours but has a a pair of medium lasers up front in addition to a pair aft. Since it's a 2720s design, it doesn't come with MML but paired Artemis IV enhanced LRM-15s with ain't too bad. It doesn't have your legs, but still can boast of 6 tons of fuel.
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Black Stars Mercenary Collective
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Baron of Erdvynn, Alarion Province, Lyran Alliance
Earl of Galisteo, Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, Free Worlds League

Creator of Kingdom of Nibo

Mariahsyn

Postby Mariahsyn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:24 am

While I do appreciate the feedback regarding the Stuka upgrade and the suggestion of the D46 Thunderbird it isn't produced in the Federated Suns. The upgrade meets certain service requirements. :)
Duchess Ravenna Black.
Callsign: Blackbird.
Assignment: Headquarters Command, I Corps. (Operation Horus' Creance)
CO, Black Wolf Rangers.
Baroness Offerman and Duchess Warlock.

"And hell followed with her..."

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Postby Vampire » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:43 am

Aha! I knew there was a reason I proposed the T-bird. It's actually manufactured by Wangker Aerospace within the FS on Axton.
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Black Stars Mercenary Collective
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Baron of Erdvynn, Alarion Province, Lyran Alliance
Earl of Galisteo, Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, Free Worlds League

Creator of Kingdom of Nibo